Thursday, December 28, 2006

2006 Year in Review: Best and Worst of Media

2006_little_miss_sunshine_009-1

Best Movie: I’ll be the first to admit that a good drama is usually better than a good comedy, but while I loved The Departed (mostly for the acting and writing) I have to say that my favorite movie this year was Little Miss Sunshine. Maybe it was the timing, and seeing a funny movie about death and depression and the failure of ones dreams was exactly what I needed.

Worst Movie: Typically I don’t see bad movies, but I’m going to guess that it was Wicker Man because I remember seeing the trailer in the theater and immediately thinking, “You know how horror movies are usually good for the first 10 minutes? And then they begin to trail off? And then there’s that chunk of about 40 minutes halfway through where things get weird as they try to advance the plot and it usually involves ancient rituals or something and it’s always awful? Well this seems like an entire movie of that 40 minutes.” Or Basic Instinct 2 because how dare you disgrace Basic Instinct 1.

Best Album: I didn’t buy too many albums this year, but of the ones I did buy I’m going to have to say that my favorite was Regina Spektor’s Begin to Hope. Choice tracks include “Better” and Fidelity.” Proof that the music really is good: Even after I found out that her voice belies her face and she is mostly unattractive, I still listened to the album.

Best Song: “Mr. Tough” by Yo La Tengo. That’s fun stuff right there. (Even though I’m pretty sure this is what they’re talking about when they say “stealing bandwith,” thanks to I Am Fuel, You Are Friends – a great music blog for anyone interested.)

Worst New TV Show: Of the bad ones I never watched but saw commercials for and said, “HOW?” I have to say that “Til Death” takes the cake. It’s like the script is a modified version of some off-the-strip Vegas lounge act. Fox advertised the hell out of this and every commercial contained some of the unfunniest material I’ve ever seen. And if you can’t even make a 30 second commercial funny

Best New TV Show: From what I hear, “Heroes” is the best new TV show of 2006. Unfortunately, I never really got into it, probably because it’s been my dream since I was young to wake up one morning with a super power (invisibility) and watching it happen to real live (fictitious) people on TV is too much to bear. So instead I’m going with “Studio 60.” I don’t care what anyone says about “predictability” and “sentimentality” and “politicizing”; it’s smart and it’s well written – two things I at least have a shot at, unlike invisibility.

Best Technology: I’m not sure if you’ve heard of Slingbox. I won’t get into the technicalities of it, but basically with this and TiVo, we’re one step closer to my utopia where I can watch TV “24” while sitting on the toilet at work.

(Readers: The editor would love to assay on things like Best New Book and Best Blog, but the editor doesn’t read much. Plus the editor is late for sex. So the editor asks you to fill in those and any other remaining blanks, because if there’s two things the editor loves it’s sex and good recommendations.)

20 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I also loved Little Miss Sunshine! Damn that was a good movie!

December 28, 2006 at 4:46:00 PM EST  
Blogger [tall] said...

Friday Night Lights is the best new show on TV.

Why? 2 Words: MINKA KELLY

(I won't even try to hyperlink again, just google her name...you'll see)

December 28, 2006 at 4:50:00 PM EST  
Blogger Meow said...

Best blog HAS to be Scott Adams' Dilbert Blog (not about Dilbert). (He did start in late 2005... but if we forget that he still counts as a recommendation.)

He is the most intelligent, funny, and insane person I've ever read. Economists are sometimes like that.

http://dilbertblog.typepad.com

December 28, 2006 at 4:54:00 PM EST  
Blogger Miss Nines said...

How fitting that your new girlfriend came as a recommendation from an anonymous fan and now you're having sex. Two things you love! Yay!

December 28, 2006 at 5:03:00 PM EST  
Blogger Alison said...

I totally agree with "Little Miss Sunshine" (right now they are selling the DVD with the screenplay as a free bonus!) and "Begin to Hope." And, although I was very wary of it at first, I have to say that "30 Rock" tops my Best in 2006 list for television. I love this blog too, yay, and thanks.

December 28, 2006 at 8:41:00 PM EST  
Blogger julia said...

Best book I read: Jonathan Franzen - The Corrections (published 2001)
Best new tv show: Dexter, silly. though i don't watch enough tv to take a good sampling of other possibilities.


Aaaand Regina Spektor's a babe. A woman's woman, maybe.

December 28, 2006 at 8:46:00 PM EST  
Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

I would have thought that "America's Got Talent" would have been your choice for worst TV show this year.

December 28, 2006 at 9:01:00 PM EST  
Blogger ❉ pixie ❉ said...

Little Miss Sunshine was excellent and anyone who doesn't think so has no real sense of humor or compassion. Heroes is fabulous but you really have to have watched it from the beginning to get it.

December 28, 2006 at 10:29:00 PM EST  
Anonymous A said...

I liked Little Miss Sunshine and all but it made me feel kinda empty at the end. Yeah, I like my Hollywood endings.

December 28, 2006 at 11:06:00 PM EST  
Blogger SAILOR MOON said...

Okay Cute White boy AKA DAN THE MAN, I loved Little Miss Sunshine, it had everything that a pessimistic person loves to see in movies. Apocolypto was great too..

What the FACK was the deal with the WIcker Man? My mother almost kicked me outta the house for making her watch that shit. Nicholas Cage is KNOWN to make "odd" films but this was a fackin stupid movie - about nothing - and I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT HOLLYWOOD ALLOWED IT.

I dont know what you're listening to in the music section - that must be some NY white boy stuff...

Tv shows gone bad - "my guys" or "My boys" on TBS i think it is...it sucks asshole...

Best TV show - girly show: Ugly Betty and thats only because i saw the orignal Colombian Novela first.
But my allstime fav new show, is HEROES and because i always wanted super powers (flight by the way) I watch the show with anger, love, and jealousy...Anyways, its an awesome show and if you ever decide to watch it or you're really bored at work and you want to see all your fav shows or HEROES. Go to this web site, it has all the episodes to a shit load of shows, anime, and cartoons..

http://www.tv-links.co.uk/

I caught up on my SCRUBs with this site. Its really great, and by the by try watching DExter it is a good show..it will water your taste buds.

TEchnology...i will personally go with the IPOD... is that this year or last year? I might be behind, but i got one this year and its awesome.. I watch my HEroes episodes on it...

love sailormoon

December 29, 2006 at 2:10:00 AM EST  
Blogger Diana said...

I found your blog via the [cherry] ride....glad I found it (I've never figured out how to hyperlink in these comments.

I'd have to agree with you as far as the Slingbox. TV in Singapore SUCKS big-time! OK, it's improved a bit this year since HBO introduced three new channels and I can see last year's U.S. stuff this year.

It was fun watching my favorite shows in the morning to get my day started. That is, until my son's apartment in Atlanta got hit by lightning three times and blew up my Slingbox. I'm STILL waiting for him to replace it for me (with my money). He's 21 and has very important work to do -- namely have sex as frequently as possible. I'm not supposed to know that, but somehow, I know his priority list.

December 29, 2006 at 7:25:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Little Miss Sunshine was great. I do really like "Heroes" too. I can see how it would be hard to get into if you don't start from the start, each episode is giving you bits of so many stories that the update to each individual storyline is not enough. This would be a great show to wait for the season collection and watch all in one go when you're out "sick" or something.

December 29, 2006 at 9:03:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you think THIS woman (http://www.bighassle.com/publicity/regina_310.jpg) is unattractive?? i'm quite surprised. and you don't think band of horses or adam arcuragi put out the best records? we could discuss this for hours.

December 29, 2006 at 10:47:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo La Tengo - now I know I'm cool.

December 29, 2006 at 12:21:00 PM EST  
Blogger K.Leigh said...

30 Rock is really funny, too.

Studio 60 is not...not my favorite show. maybe because so many of my friends are comedy writers who constantly bitch about how unrealistic it is.

Regina Spektor is sexy.

Heroes is awesome.

COngrats on the gettign laid part. I'm feeling pretty jealous right abotu now.

December 29, 2006 at 12:49:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Rose said...

I enjoyed reading your list. I think I'll write my own best and worst list or maybe what was the best thing that happen to this year and what was the worst? Diana sent me over to check out your blog.

December 29, 2006 at 1:34:00 PM EST  
Blogger sleepyrn said...

Don't watch TV much (and even that is more than I want thanks to a husband who loves TV) so no comment there. See some movies - loved "Cars" and cried like a baby at "We are Marshall" (afore mentioned husband was a senior there the year of the crash ((does that make me a 19 year old married to a 50 something man - it gets creepier and creepier.)) )

But I do read a lot. Three best fictions of the year - at least that I read this year. They may or may not have been published this year: "Shadow of the Wind", "The Thirteenth Tale", "The Red Tent." Best non fiction: "The Gospel of Thomas". A gnostic gospel left out of The Bible. It should be read by everyone - believer or not. It is FASCINATING!!!!!

December 29, 2006 at 1:49:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best Show: The Office - Forev - each show is like a new season. A season of hilariously awkward gaffaws!

Best Movie: The Pursuit of Happyness. Will Smith will get an Oscar or I'll eat my hat.

Worst Show: SNL - I know, I know, I went to college too. Drank beer, watched SNL and told my friends "Kenny Rogers' concert tee called and wants its pit stains back" and the Schwetty Family Nut Sack bit... it's just that it's, well, lame, now.

Worst Moment Ev: The Vaginas. Every. Where. I. Turned.

Worst President: W.
How many people did he send to their deaths this year?

December 29, 2006 at 3:00:00 PM EST  
Blogger Cath said...

Thank God someone else in the world appreciates Studio 60.

December 30, 2006 at 6:32:00 PM EST  
Blogger Vegas Princess said...

So nice to see someone else doing the obligatory lists for the end of the year. I agree with Little Miss Sunshine and Studio 60, love them! Also Heroes. As for books and websites, I loved "Marley & Me" and there's always my blog...ahem uh but if you're not into shameless self promoting try Dealing in Subterfuges (http://jordanbaker.blogspot.com) she's pretty funny. And my pick me up for the day always comes from CuteOverload.com...but I'm a fuzzy animal kind of girl.

December 30, 2006 at 10:25:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home