Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Some Ultra-Professional Ideas For My Totally Unnecessary Business Cards

The reason I haven’t posted so much lately is that I’ve been so busy with a business I started selling homemade jellies and jams.

OK, I just wanted to see how that would look in print, though the real reason is just as arbitrary, and just as delicious. Thanks to a serendipitous run-in with an old college professor I am now an assistant editor working on Food & Wine’s 2009 Wine Guide.

I won’t lie, my initial reaction when I was first proposed the job was, “But it’s barely even 2008 . . .” But once they explained all the complexities to me, I decided I was the right man for the job. Or even if I wasn’t, I would pretend I was. (Of course, it doesn’t hurt when you almost get picked up during your job interview. You can’t buy that kind of cross-over appeal.)

Basically, the writer of the book, my old college professor, came to me and said, “I’m looking for someone who will do a lot of work and is willing to be paid in wine.” I tried to play it cool as I ran the notion through my head several times trying to decipher it. It seemed as though when he said it that he was trying to sell me on an unpopular idea. I’m worried I’m being tricked here, so I try to imagine why someone wouldn’t want to be paid in wine. Wine is alcoholic, right? The delicious stuff that comes in dark and light, right? Is this a trick? Is wine really not delicious and I’ve been fooled by trade magazines and over-aggressive French waiters my entire life?

But before I could resolve any of this, I said I’d do it.

Now, after weeks of writing and asking myself new and uncharted questions like, “Is citrusy a word?” today I finally have my first official wine tasting. It’s at this hotel called the Waldorf Astoria – you may have heard of it if you ever wore an ascot or date-raped a sorority girl and got away with it. It’s a big affair where we’ll be tasting hundreds (not sure if that’s true) of wines from France’s Bordeaux region. I’ll be meeting a lot of important people involved with the publication of the book, meaning that there are two important things to remember:

1. The “x” is silent; and
2. Business cards.

Why people still use business cards, I’ll never know. We have effectively replaced MAIL and CHECKS and TAKING A GIRL TO DINNER BEFORE SEEING HALF-NAKED PICTURES OF HER, but we still hand each other little cardboard squares with our names printed on them? Where is the technology to just point our cell phones at each other and shoot the information wirelessly? Regardless, I don’t have business cards. And unless I want to be writing my phone number on the palms of lots of smartly dressed people, I figured I should get some.

The problem was, I had no idea what to put on the card. Besides having no classy ring to it, “Daniel Murphy – Paralegal” just seems kind of inapplicable. And sad. Like you might hand someone the card and they would look back up at you like, “Alright, cool. If I ever need a” (looks back down at the card) “paralegal, I’ll be sure to give you a call.”

So then what? I actually wrote and email to the writer of the book (my defacto boss) and asked him for his advice. He confirmed my fears:

“Writer sounds pretentious, journalist too gritty, sommelier laughable, and renaissance man preposterous. So, just use your name, address, email, cell and website.”

Still, I wasn’t comfortable with a business card that just said “Daniel Murphy.” As though I was some kind of brand. Since when did I deserve to be on a card, handed out to other people? “Hi, I’m Daniel Murphy. I’m a commodity. Here’s my card. It has my name on it.” My biggest fear is that people will stick my card in their jacket pocket only to find it five months later at some anniversary dinner party all covered in lint. They’ll pull it out of their pocket and think, “Who is Daniel Murphy?” People will randomly call me saying they found my card in their pocket. “Were you the plumber I used for that leaky drain pipe?” I guess at worst I can pick up some odd jobs to supplement my income of rare and expensive wine.

Brooke, ever the supportive girlfriend, wasn’t satisfied with the situation. In an attempt to allay my insecurities and fears of having my name run solo on the cards, she came up with a list of possibilities. They are:









In the end, I sucked it up and just used my name. While I’m sure it would stimulate much more conversation to tell people about my future career as a riverboat captain (“I plan on throwing people overboard if they get rowdy or play with the life preservers”), I’m sure I’ll have enough to worry about just remembering to drop the “x.”

41 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

Dude -- you should have just gone with wino.

Although future riverboat captain is quite inspired. :)

January 23, 2008 at 12:53:00 PM EST  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh my gosh, just reading those cards (so glad you posted them that way) had me stifling my laughter in my too-quiet cube-land office.

January 23, 2008 at 1:29:00 PM EST  
Blogger Kristen said...

oh dan. hillarious. Dare I say GENIUS!

January 23, 2008 at 2:32:00 PM EST  
Blogger A Lil' Irish Lass said...

I thought the first card read "tamer of bReasts."

That would have been awesome.

January 23, 2008 at 2:38:00 PM EST  
Blogger tammy said...

That's a pretty cool gig. You made the right choice. Writers don't get paid in actual money ever.

January 23, 2008 at 2:59:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Burke said...

Seriously funny post! Great stuff.

January 23, 2008 at 3:24:00 PM EST  
Blogger Peter said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 23, 2008 at 3:30:00 PM EST  
Blogger Deezee said...

damn. I was hoping you went for a provocative tag.

very funny.

January 23, 2008 at 3:30:00 PM EST  
Blogger Peter said...

"Ambiguist" is quite genius, I gotta say.

January 23, 2008 at 3:31:00 PM EST  
Blogger Heather said...

So only Daniel Ocean has the cachet for a name-only card? Damn.

January 23, 2008 at 3:34:00 PM EST  
Blogger Camels & Chocolate said...

Yikes, now I'm paranoid about my own cards that say "Writer. Editor. Photographer." Though hopefully any semblance of pretentiousness will be offset by the fact they they are printed in PURPLE and GOLD.

January 23, 2008 at 3:46:00 PM EST  
Blogger Jillian said...

I'm trying to pretend that I am working on my students grades right now but the fact that I am dying laughing is undermining my credibility a bit.

Hilarious!

January 23, 2008 at 5:09:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Arjewtino said...

How about this one:

"Daniel Murphy. Business card distributor."

January 23, 2008 at 5:47:00 PM EST  
Blogger Amaya said...

I love all of those. Maybe you should print out a few of each?

January 23, 2008 at 6:24:00 PM EST  
Anonymous You can call me, 'Sir' said...

Instead of 'Man About Town', maybe try 'Gadfly'. Or maybe 'Breast Man'.

January 23, 2008 at 6:28:00 PM EST  
Blogger mindy said...

"For all your writing needs. Also, automotive." made me laugh out loud.

Good work, Brooke.

January 23, 2008 at 9:02:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Kevin said...

Daniel Murphy
Damn glad to meet you

January 23, 2008 at 9:25:00 PM EST  
Blogger Scottsdale Girl said...

Damiel Murphy
Hoping your husband doesn't find this in a few weeks and think you are cheating on him.

(only applicable in female recipients (OBVS) and states other than Kentucky, Alabama and Georgia)

January 23, 2008 at 9:43:00 PM EST  
Blogger Scottsdale Girl said...

Damiel...yeah. DANIEL.

Fucking citrusy Chardonnay!

January 23, 2008 at 9:44:00 PM EST  
Blogger Spud Mack said...

Actually strange enough as it is, if people were to google Dan Murphy to find who you are (at least on my Australian google page) they would be sent to one of the largest liquor merchant's in Australia 'Dan Murhpy's'. Thus, the instataneously would be reminded of the bordeaux wine tasting evening and everything works out for the best...although it may be difficult convinving people you have been around since 1878.

January 23, 2008 at 11:42:00 PM EST  
Anonymous kevin said...

Daniel Murphy
Pimp'n Wine since 2008

January 24, 2008 at 12:08:00 AM EST  
Blogger Girl Gone Green said...

1) Jealous of the gig, first of all. Please be sure to review favorably all wines "Willamette" (as in the Valley. Like in Oregon.

Don't laugh. We have fantabulous wines out here (give a little shout out to Cathedral Ridge and their stellar Pinot Noir...

2)How 'bout
Daniel J. Murphy
I own a mansion and a yacht
(bugs bunny fans? anyone? Buehler?)

3)Brooke is really funny. Please let her post more...

January 24, 2008 at 12:40:00 AM EST  
Blogger GRUNTSHIT said...

Remember the scene from American Psycho about the business cards??? Its all in the paper.

January 24, 2008 at 4:56:00 AM EST  
Blogger sid said...

I love Brooke. Don't let her get away!!!! Tie her up if you have to.

January 24, 2008 at 8:48:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Lara said...

Oh, how I wish you had chosen one of those!

January 24, 2008 at 9:35:00 AM EST  
Blogger Katie said...

Vandalay Industries
CFO Marine Biology & Architecture.

January 24, 2008 at 11:49:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was that Cunning Linguist?

January 24, 2008 at 12:24:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's the difference between jelly and jam? You can jam your #$*@ up your girlfriend's @#$!

January 24, 2008 at 1:15:00 PM EST  
Blogger Maursupial said...

I recieved as a "present" business cards this year. What does a high school English teacher need with business cards? Do I hand them out to my incoming students??

January 24, 2008 at 2:49:00 PM EST  
Anonymous pete v said...

Hoss -

first visit to the blog and omg I am STARSTRUCK!!!


But seriously...I just made "Poet Business Cards" and found myself on the couch last night, looking absently at one of them and feeling simultaneously inspired and sorry for myself, the way you feel when you see a sad mime in a scratchy black & white silent film...anyway, I was thinking, can this work? What if I just threw them around like casting into a very big lake with a bamboo fishing pole and yarn with a paper clip hook...but what if?

Also, get me a job as assistant wine taster...I'll drink the stuff in the spitoon after you swish out your mouth with it.

January 24, 2008 at 3:23:00 PM EST  
Blogger Alexander said...

You forgot: Daniel J. Murphy, puppy walker and poop-picker-upper.

January 24, 2008 at 4:06:00 PM EST  
Blogger Jillian said...

Daniel J. Murphy
HNIC

January 24, 2008 at 6:30:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Eric the BeehiveHairdresser said...

What about...

Daniel Murphy
All Around, Nice Guy

January 24, 2008 at 10:16:00 PM EST  
Blogger Eve said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 25, 2008 at 1:49:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how about "daniel j. murphy - first time caller, long time listener."

January 26, 2008 at 3:38:00 PM EST  
Blogger Forlorn Flo said...

"David Murphy. Business Cards=old school"

January 27, 2008 at 12:01:00 AM EST  
Blogger Hollywood Sucker said...

"Daniel Murphy. Raconteur."

Eh, Brooke's were all better.

January 28, 2008 at 6:42:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daniel Murphy
Analrapist

January 29, 2008 at 10:47:00 PM EST  
Blogger Art said...

The "Humorist. Seriously" one was the best. I would use it myself if I thought I had anything particularly funny to say.

February 18, 2008 at 8:34:00 PM EST  
Blogger sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,按摩棒,跳蛋,充氣娃娃,情境坊歡愉用品,情趣用品,情人節禮物,情惑用品性易購,A片,視訊聊天室,視訊,視訊聊天,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,聊天室,UT聊天室,免費視訊,視訊交友,免費視訊聊天室

免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,A片,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

A片,色情,成人,做愛,情色文學,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,視訊聊天室,言情小說,愛情小說,AIO,AV片,A漫,av dvd,聊天室,自拍,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,色情A片,SEX

情趣用品,A片,免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,色情網站,免費AV,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,成人影片,情色網


情趣用品,A片,免費A片,日本A片,A片下載,線上A片,成人電影,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,微風成人區,成人文章,成人影城,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,臺灣情色網,色情,情色電影,色情遊戲,嘟嘟情人色網,麗的色遊戲,情色論壇,色情網站,一葉情貼圖片區,做愛,性愛,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,美女交友,做愛影片

av,情趣用品,a片,成人電影,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,aio,av女優,AV,免費A片,日本a片,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,聊天室,美女交友,成人光碟

情趣用品.A片,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,色情遊戲,色情網站,聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,免費A片,日本a片,a片下載,線上a片,av女優,av,成人電影,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,成人網站,自拍,尋夢園聊天室

December 11, 2008 at 2:31:00 AM EST  
Blogger ed said...

A片,A片,A片,A片,A片,A片情趣用品,情趣,A片,AIO,AV,AV女優,A漫,免費A片,AIO交友愛情館,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,情色文學,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,色情遊戲,嘟嘟情人色網,一葉情貼圖片區,情色論壇,色情影片,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,18成人,成人影城,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人貼圖,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,哈啦聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,視訊聊天室,視訊聊天

麻將,台灣彩卷,六合彩開獎號碼,運動彩卷,六合彩,線上遊戲,矽谷麻將,明星3缺一,橘子町,麻將大悶鍋,台客麻將,公博,game,,中華職棒,麗的線上小遊戲,國士無雙麻將,麻將館,賭博遊戲,威力彩,威力彩開獎號碼,龍龍運動網,史萊姆,史萊姆好玩遊戲,史萊姆第一個家,史萊姆好玩遊戲區,樂透彩開獎號碼,遊戲天堂,好玩遊戲,遊戲基地,無料遊戲王,好玩遊戲區,麻將遊戲,好玩遊戲區,小遊戲,遊戲區,電玩快打,cs online情趣用品,情趣,情趣商品,A片,AIO交友愛情館,AIOAV女優,AV,A漫,免費A片,本土自拍,自拍,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,情色文學,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,色情遊戲,色情影片,情色網,色情網站,微風成人區,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,18成人,成人影城,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人貼圖,成人文章,成人小說,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,哈啦聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,080中部人聊天室,080聊天室,中部人聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,苗栗人聊天室,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊聊天情趣用品,情趣,情趣商品,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,情色文學,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,色情遊戲,AIO交友愛情館,一葉情貼圖片區,情色論壇,色情影片,色情網站,微風成人區,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,18成人,成人影城,成人圖片,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人小說,A片,AV女優,AV,A漫,免費A片,自拍,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,哈啦聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,080中部人聊天室,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室情趣用品,情趣,情趣商品,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,情色文學,色情,做愛,寄情築園小遊戲,色情遊戲,AIO交友愛情館,AIO,色情影片,情色網,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,18成人,成人影城,成人圖片,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人小說,成人電影,麗的色遊戲,自拍,A片,AV女優,AV,A漫,視訊交友網,視訊,視訊交友,免費視訊聊天室,免費視訊,視訊聊天,視訊聊天室,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,哈啦聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,中古車,二手車情色貼圖,日本A片,A片下載,情色A片,AV女優,A漫,免費A片,微風成人,成人網站,成人光碟,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人影城A片,A片,A片下載,做愛,成人電影,18成人,日本A片,情色小說,情色電影,成人影城,自拍,情色論壇,成人論壇,情色貼圖,情色,免費A片,成人,成人光碟

May 1, 2009 at 11:24:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home