Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Revelation* While Making Chili

In our efforts to be healthier and cook our own meals instead of constantly ordering take-out, Brooke and I decided to make chili the other day.

(Ed. Note: We use the more liberal definition of “healthy,” i.e. not from a can and not containing any chemicals currently banned by the FDA and/or salmonella. Though in truth we just couldn’t pass up those delicious looking tomatoes despite the recent salmonella “outbreak,” of which Brooke and I both use air quotes when referencing it to people, as though we are the only ones who understand that it is a scam run by the onion farmers to scare up business.)

Anyway, the chili was a couples’ effort, and we each had our assignments. One of Brooke’s was to chop the jalapeño pepper. Brooke, not a seasoned (get it?) chef, sliced the pepper and cleaned out the seeds with her bare hands.

A few minutes later, her fingers began to burn.

Brooke: “My thumbs hurt and it’s weird.”

Dan: “It’s the pepper. There’s a chemical in there that sticks to your skin and causes it to burn.”

Brooke: “Get out, really? I didn’t know that’s how it worked.”

(begins washing hands)

Brooke: “Man, it really hurts. They could make a weapon out of that stuff.”

Dan: “They do – it’s called pepper spray.”

(slight pause)

Brooke: Ohhh…”

_____________________________
* Bonus revelation! While we were in Key West over Memorial Day Weekend, we saw signs everywhere for “the best Key Lime Pie.”

Dan: “I guess key limes must be a specialty in Key Wes-”

Brooke and Dan: (simultaneously) “Ohhh…”

10 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

Never forget...contacts and jalapeno pepper oil on your fingers...
DO
NOT
MIX

June 24, 2008 at 3:12:00 PM EDT  
OpenID notsojenny said...

wow... 4th time on google reader is a charm i guess

i too learned the lesson oh pepper hot hands once. it's like rubbing your eye with the hand you're cutting raw onion with... you never forget that lesson

June 24, 2008 at 3:44:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Tara said...

I had one of those revelations back in high school when we went on the Italy class trip to Rome. Standing outside the Coliseum, I was like, "Wow, this place looks just like Nassau Colise... ooh..."

June 24, 2008 at 5:14:00 PM EDT  
Blogger [mother] said...

Keep the chili recipe and you can dazzle us Northeners when you visit in July.

June 24, 2008 at 5:59:00 PM EDT  
OpenID uncomplicatedly said...

Once I was making curry using Thai peppers, which are notoriously hot, and I had an allergy attack courtesy of the spring flowers outside, so I rubbed at my nose with my pepper-oiled hands. Long story short, I had to snort milk to make the burning stop.

June 24, 2008 at 9:09:00 PM EDT  
Blogger margaret said...

Well, I learned something new today.

June 24, 2008 at 11:04:00 PM EDT  
Blogger sid said...

LOL! I love Brooke. In fact I'd probably have said the exact same thing as her.

June 25, 2008 at 1:06:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Beach Bum said...

I was reading your post thinking "huh, makes sense, never thought of it"

So here's to more "ohhh..."

June 25, 2008 at 10:21:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Lara said...

So wait. How are you supposed to cut peppers without getting the oil on your hands? Wear gloves? (obviously, I have never attempted to do this)

June 25, 2008 at 12:21:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cut the chilis with scissors.

June 28, 2008 at 12:20:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home