Monday, September 22, 2008

Well That Didn’t Go Well

Normally I would follow up my Emmy preview with a post listing the results and how I fared at guessing the winners. Thankfully I made that easy on myself by guessing almost none of the winners. It’s a great strategy, really. Lessens my workload tremendously.

I’d like to think that that’s what I had in mind when I guessed that Sally Field would repeat as best lead actress. STUPID. You never, ever, (emphasizing this by hitting head with mouse) ever bet against Glenn Close. I’m not going to say that she would sleep with the entire Academy to win, I’m just saying that she’s probably already slept with most of the Academy.

The good news? The show was a turd. So we don’t have to spend any more time talking about it than absolutely necessary. (P.S. That doubles as an acting note to the hosts. ZING!) But I will say this: TV is awesome, despite Howie Mandel. And although I spent an inordinate amount of time writing that last post (and you wasted an inordinate amount of time reading the first third of it), I still believe that there is no better unifying force in the world than television. And love. Television or love.

Fortunately something that did go well was my vacation in Costa Rica. Here are a few things I didn’t know about Costa Rica before I went:

Where it was. Apparently, Costa Rica is sandwiched right between Nicaragua and Panama – two places that people never go to on vacation, unless their idea of fun is trafficking drugs and shouting things like, “Why are you trying to sell me?” So this was a little disconcerting, especially when Brooke and I got a little lost while driving from the airport to our resort and started seeing signs for Nicaragua. Because that’s how easy it happens, especially in the movies: Two lovestruck vacationers accidentally drive into a war-torn country, get a flat tire, and must pose as traveling textile salespeople to survive. And seeing as the only Spanish word I remember is zapatos, and the only pair of shoes I had to sell were my own, and that just the idea of trying to carry around a wide enough variety of sizes to suit even a fraction of your potential clientele. . . well, let’s just say it’s best that that plan never got test-driven.

And that’s just the first thing I learned about Central America! Stay tuned all week for more lessons, observations, and hopefully not racist ruminations on the awesome time we had in Costa Rica, which (and here’s a bonus nugget of info) translates to Rich Coast. Rich with what? Beauty. Or drugs. Beauty or drugs. (Seriously, you can buy them right in the pharmacia. I did. By accident.)

Also, don’t stop voting for Puppy. There seems to be a grass roots movement for Shadow. Which is great, because I’m sure that Shadow is a really nice dog. But fuck Shadow. Vote Puppy.

12 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

First to post!

Shadow has nothing on Puppy. "Loves chasing tail"?! No personality whatsoever!! Go Puppy!

September 22, 2008 at 4:50:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Arielle said...

I voted for Puppy! Though I have to admit, Shadow is pretty adorable.

September 22, 2008 at 5:37:00 PM EDT  
Blogger nycaboo said...

a poodle like fluff ball named maximo? really?!

puppy has wit. take that

September 22, 2008 at 5:43:00 PM EDT  
Blogger kate said...

Shadow looks like he's giving us his best version of "Blue Steel". And failing. Miserably.

September 22, 2008 at 7:48:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud...I indeed did only read the first third of your emmy or oscar or whatever it was post. I will go check out Shadow...and then vote for Puppy--because I feel we have some kind of relationship. That's Puppy and I, not you and I....

Canadian Queen

September 22, 2008 at 11:32:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! I don't know what happened but that dog that was all lurking under the stuffed animals made me vote for it! I am so sorry Puppy!! But, maybe a more seductive photo?

Canadian Queen

September 22, 2008 at 11:37:00 PM EDT  
Blogger me said...

I had to vote for Lily. Her story is heartbreaking. Also. I could almost hear sarah mclachlan singng to me about the sad, sad animals in this world as I looked at each picture.
Really. You tear at our hearts. or I'm dramatic.

September 23, 2008 at 9:38:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I voted for puppy, but had to go back and vote for Mortimer who seems to be getting NO attention despite being the cutest dog there.

(Sorry, Puppy. You're more of the male model variety, whereas mortimer is more the scruffy, sensitive intellectual variety who always wins the girl with his earnestness)

September 23, 2008 at 10:25:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS someone is stacking the votes for shadow. That dog is not that cute.

September 23, 2008 at 10:28:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Leezer said...

Puppy Rocks. Shadow is a communist.

September 23, 2008 at 5:30:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It lets you vote over and over again. How fun! Puppy for the win!

Lillie :-)

September 24, 2008 at 12:49:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous K Wynn said...

Voted for Puppy with this comment:

"Shadow looks perfect, for lab experiments. Puppy on the other hand looks like he would save a baby from a burning building."

Rejected.

Dirty bastards.

September 25, 2008 at 5:16:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home