Monday, May 18, 2009

Don’t Get Curried Away

A few of my friends came down from NY this weekend. We went out partying one night at The Clevelander* (which couldn’t be clubbier if it was whacking a baby seal) and my friend Scott proceeded to engage in conversation with a group of Indian women there celebrating a bachelorette party.

The music is loud, of course, so I’m watching him scream into this girl’s ear and her scream into his, but I can’t hear a word they’re saying. All of a sudden, she gets a very confused look on her face. A few minutes later, she kind of drifts away and Scott comes over to me.

Scott: “Well that was awkward.”
Me: “What happened?”
Scott: “I asked here where she was from and she said Al Habama. I asked what part of the country that was in and she kind of looked at me funny and said the south.
Me: “Okay.”
Scott: “So then I’m asking her all these questions about what life is like there and she says she just graduated college and is thinking of moving to Miami. When I told her that must be a pretty far trip, she said it’s only about an hour. That’s what I realized she lived in Alabama, not Al Habama.”

_________________________________
* It’s worth noting that The Clevelander is the same club these same friends and I were at when I got a girl’s phone number on my social security card back in 2001. It’s nice to know that while my friends and I might grow and change, Miami stays the same.

10 Comments:

OpenID peterdewolf said...

HA! Pure awesome.

Too bad he didn't see the table of young Gaelic lasses from a little town called O'Kla Homa.

May 18, 2009 at 11:27:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Josh said...

Ah, racial profiling, how I love thee.

May 18, 2009 at 11:55:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Prosy said...

I have a lot of 'ethnic' friends. People always ask where they're from, and they are all like, 'Pennsylvania?' or some such boring locale. However, we always have a time at the airport.

May 18, 2009 at 12:51:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lara said...

Hilarious.


- One who really is from the curry land and religiously follows [redacted].

May 18, 2009 at 1:21:00 PM EDT  
Blogger S.logan said...

I'm surprised she admitted it. I live in Alabama, and I think I'll use the Al Habama line from now on. Sounds much more exotic.

May 18, 2009 at 2:45:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tessa said...

Hahaha

May 18, 2009 at 3:43:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kristine said...

I love the SS card story. This one's pretty good, too. Clearly she was duping him with the ol' "accent" trickery. Probably a witch.

May 19, 2009 at 7:35:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Cameon said...

Ha. I am from Alabama as well. Only, the only accent I put on the word draws it out to take up 2 minutes of a conversation instead of the 10 seconds it should actually take.

There's nothing like a good ole' southern drawl.

May 19, 2009 at 8:23:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Hapi said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

May 27, 2009 at 8:00:00 AM EDT  
OpenID itsvedic said...

please blog soon. I have nothing to distract me from assignments. You're our only hope here. I already tracked down and read your entire "Daily Dump" archive. You're killing me.

May 28, 2009 at 9:55:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home